Staff - Business Development Manager - Orlando
Job Category: Staff
Under the general supervision and direction of the Marketing Director, the Business Development Manager is responsible for meeting the practice and business development needs of the firm, particularly its Central Florida offices (Orlando, Tampa, and Sarasota). The Business Development Manager is expected to perform all responsibilities with a commitment to providing superior service to the firm’s lawyers, maintaining an atmosphere of team work and continuous improvement, and working independently and proactively. Above all, the Business Development Manager must fulfill the needs of the firm in a manner which is consistent with the Firm’s marketing strategy.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assist in the implementation of practice group business and action plans by managing and tracking the group’s efforts; monitor and track business plan implementation to ensure that deadlines are met and commitments are kept.
- Identify, assess and coordinate conferences, seminars, forums, sponsorships, speaking and writing opportunities to ensure they are line with the goals of the practice.
- Prepare submissions for directories, nominations and surveys in coordination with the marketing team.
- Develop, prepare and distribute practice-focused brochures, advertisements, newsletters and client mailings, and promote exposure of the practice and individual attorneys, as appropriate. Coordinate and implement internal and external practice events, with support from the marketing team.
- Assist with practice and industry-related sponsorships, events and memberships to facilitate the development of the practices. Specific tasks include coordinating the invitation and RSVP list, assist in preparing any invitation-related or event collateral, acting as on-site host and coordinating registration or tradeshow exhibit.
- Oversee and facilitate communication among and between the practices.
- Request and disseminate research to teams on trends in the industry or area of law.
- Provide back up support to business development team members supporting the various practice areas.
- Other duties as assigned.
New Business Proposals
- Maintain current and accurate experience lists, matter descriptions, case studies and client lists for use in marketing and business development efforts.
- Assist with the preparation of business development presentations, briefings, new business proposals and RFP responses. Maintain library of collateral materials and marketing information about the practices.
- Manage all client development pitches, including developing and drafting presentations.
- Work with practice groups to identify opportunities to offer new services or enhance existing services in order to attract high-value work and enhance value provided to clients.
- Assist with the development and execution of marketing/business development strategies, plans and projects, including identifying and evaluating new business opportunities and targets, facilitating cross-selling initiatives and participating on client-specific target teams.
Communications and Supervisory Responsibilities
- Facilitate internal communication about successes and opportunities within and among the practice groups, utilizing internal and external communication vehicles.
- Work with the marketing team to develop marketing messages, seminar ideas, media lists and opportunities, advertising and other marketing tools.
- Conduct analysis and reviews of client base by practice area.
- Maintain an accurate database of clients and other contacts to enable external communication.
Essential Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Demonstrate professionalism, with excellent written and oral communication skills, including strong writing and editing skills
- Strong work ethic, service orientation and an ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with users, peers, office and firm management, and outside business partners
- Strong leadership skills and willingness to function as a role model within the department and office
- Ability to prioritize and manage workload, work independently and complete tasks under time pressure when necessary
- Poise, tact and professionalism when interacting with internal and external contacts
- Strong computer skills including advanced knowledge of the Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint are essential; experience with Gwabbit and Legal Publish a plus
- Commitment to the office and firm
- Commitment to professional growth and development
- Strong attention to detail
Educational/Job Experience Requirements:
- Bachelor’s Degree required
- At least seven years of related business development or marketing experience required, preferably in a law firm or professional services firm