Our government legal team is comprised of current and former elected officials and government counsel who understand public policies and processes. They spent years within federal, regional, state, county, and municipal governments. As such, they maintain solid relationships with officials and offer an insider’s perspective to appearing before a public agency, requesting approvals, lobbying for change or seeking a government contract.
This experience, along with our statewide presence and an office in Tallahassee, allows our attorneys to competently and efficiently counsel public organizations and agencies as well as businesses that routinely interact with these administrative bodies. Our clients range from large defense contractors and small businesses entering the federal marketplace for the first time to state, city, and county governments.
At Shutts, our government attorneys know how to get results for our clients, especially when it comes to handling commercial and non-commercial procurement matters for the acquisition of supplies and services. We advise our clients on preparing and submitting bids and requests for proposals, procurements with the General Services Administration (GSA) schedules, and the competitive source-selection process.
We also negotiate contract clauses and modifications, Requests for Equitable Adjustment (REA’s) and claims, non-disclosure agreements, software and technical data licenses, descopes and terminations as well as file and defend bid protests, contract performance, and claims resolutions.
When contract disputes arise, we represent clients in related litigation, including audits, suspension and debarment proceedings, the bid protest process, and other federal compliance and regulatory investigations.
Additionally, our attorneys draft and implement internal policies and procedures and advise on compliance and issues related to the Procurement Integrity Act, the Freedom of Information Act (FOIA), the False Claims Act, Organizational Conflicts of Interests (OCIs), and other ethical matters.
- Bid protests
- Requests for equitable adjustments, claims and termination
- Commercial products and services
- GSA schedule contracting
- DOD contracting of commercial and non-commercial items
- Export controls and international matters
- GC/IG compliance investigations
- Services contracting
- Small business/socioeconomic matters
- Intellectual property, proprietary, and technical data rights
- Procurement fraud and investigations
- Regulatory compliance counseling, ethics, and training
- State and local contracts
- Suspension and debarment
- Terminations and contract restructuring
- Transactional support/teaming agreements/mergers and acquisitions
- School boards
- Water management districts
- Regional planning councils
- Housing authorities
- Defense contractors
- Redevelopment authorities
- Community development districts