James A. Timko is a partner in the Orlando office of Shutts & Bowen, where he is a member of the Creditors’ Rights/Bankruptcy Practice Group and a business litigator.
James has received Martindale-Hubbell’s highest rating as an attorney whose practice involves distressed assets, bankruptcy and commercial litigation. He’s also a certified circuit civil mediator. James represents creditors, debtors, secured, lenders, mortgage companies, landlords, franchisors, bankruptcy trustees and other business enterprises in chapter 7 and chapter 11 bankruptcy cases and in assignment for the benefit of creditors cases. He’s represented creditors in bankruptcy cases across the country, including Florida, California, Texas, Delaware, New York, and Pennsylvania.
James also has significant experience resolving general commercial disputes, including copyright disputes. He’s also represented institutional lenders in connection with asset based lending transactions and real estate transactions.
A national speaker and author on creditors’ rights and bankruptcy law, James is the former president of the Florida chapter of the Turnaround Management Association, the premier international professional organization dedicated to corporate renewal and turnaround management. Prior to entering private practice, he was a judicial law clerk to the Honorable Judge Leslie Tchaikovsky of the U.S. Bankruptcy Court in the Northern District of California.
- Restructured the debts of a medical practice and successfully reduced its debt by over a million dollars.
- Represented a CMBS servicer in foreclosure litigation and a deed-in-lieu transaction involving a student housing project worth approximately $5 million.
- Represented joint venturer as the purchaser of large developable property for approximately $16 million as part of a Chapter 11 plan.
- Defended a corporation against potential fraudulent transfer claims while resolving the matter with chapter 7 trustee, resulting in the quieting of title of the client’s apartment complex and ability to sell same.
- Represented a Fortune 500 company owed over $15 million and member of creditor’s committee in one of the largest bankruptcy cases in the country in 2013.
- Represented multiple lenders in chapter 11 cases involving real property disputes, including obtaining numerous confirmation of consensual plans of reorganization involving operating hotels, churches, and operating businesses.
- Represented a lender holding a priority secured interest in a well-known time share resort.
- Represented a Fortune 500 company and several of its subsidiaries in several major banking and investment company bankruptcy cases.
- Represented, as California bankruptcy counsel, an international fast-food franchisor in multiple bankruptcy cases involving several franchisees in complex trademark related matters.
- In the bankruptcy court in Las Vegas, Nevada, represented a lender owed $133 million, seeking relief from a stay to enforce its state law rights with respect to a large, residential real estate development in California.
- Represented a chapter 7 trustee in the bankruptcy case of a consumer electronics distributor subject to multiple patent and trademark infringement lawsuits.